“A Journey of a Thousand Miles Begins with a Single Step.”
And a passport, money, and some other things.
Like most frequent travelers, I’ve developed a collection of items that keeps me healthy, happy, and ready and willing to adventure wherever. No matter the project, or where I might be in the world, it is almost guaranteed that you will find most things listed below tucked away in my duffle bag.
- Earbuds and/or Bose Noise Cancelling Headphones
- Book - Personal Development and/or Adventure
- Portable Battery Pack
- Phone Charging: cable and block
- Sunglasses//Hat/Scarf (who never know when you might need a disguise)
- Lightweight Insulated Jacket
- Thigh-high Compression Stockings
- Hydration Tablets/Mix
- Water Bottle (or use your coffee drinking vessel)
- Credit Card//Cash// A Card for Getting Local Cash
- Human-Powered Grinder
- A Scheme for Heating Water (MSR pocket stove, fuel, and kettle | portable kettle | guarantee of hot water w/ lodging)
- Brewing Thing: Aeropress, Pour-Over, Moka Pot
- Drinking Vessel - Put the GO juice in the drink hole!
- Camera Body - (me = Sony Alpha a7riii)
- Lenses - 16-35mm 4.0 or 24-70mm 4.0 + 70-200mm + 35mm 2.8
- Peak Design Strap
- Peak Design Clip
- Pelican Card Case
- SanDisk SD cards
- Camera Bag - depends on the type of trip
- Gnar Box - portable hard-drive for backups
- Lens Cloth and Blower
- Photo Apps (PhotoPils App, Imaging Edge Mobile (for Sony, Lightroom Mobile, Gnarbox)
- Airline (mostly United and Southwest for me)
- Hotel Apps (Airbnb, Hotels.com)
- YR - detailed weather app from the Norwegian Meteorological Institute
- RideWithGPS - track and plan mountain bike rides and other adventures
want help packing?
Links to a series of Evernote checklists to help you get organized and packed for your travels.